Bit of side information for this thread--I won't be there, due almost exclusively to the fact that (as multiple sources inside production told me) they're going to be busing people to/from the course again this year a la Pittsburgh. Hopefully that'll have changed since I heard it back in March during ATL filming, but for now, be prepared for the busshitstorm again.
Post by RiderLeangle on May 16, 2016 20:44:32 GMT -5
I was salty about not getting the call myself, but this is f'ing ridiculous... All these vets getting snubbed...
(Also if they were using the excuse giving some other people a chance, they still are doing it wrong since they passed up on getting the most crowd and tv friendly run they could have ever asked for...)
I think what NBC are doing is they're trying to "start fresh" this season after there was TWO total clearances last time round. But it's still a real shame to hear about fan favourites missing the cut. Bit of a dick move by NBC in my opinion but I ain't the one on the telephone. (by that I mean the person giving out invitations to the lucky ones who get to run)
Post by GlobalNinjaFan on May 17, 2016 13:15:31 GMT -5
I know I'm gonna get crap for saying this, but I think NBC are right, but ONLY IN PART. It is a good thing that they want to try and bring in new competitors, especially with the fewer number of regions this year. But since they don't seem interested in having more runs, something has to give. Could it have been handled better? Yes. Did Veterans like Brian and David deserve to get turned away? Of course not. It could have been handled much better. But the simple concept of having many fresh competitors in the competition pool after TWO TOTAL VICTORIES is not a bad thing.
After each total victory in Sasuke, new competitors have risen up to take on the new era. Imagine if Takeda wasn't invited in 5 because TBS simply invited back 100% competitors from tournament 1-4. We need new faces. It is just a question of how deep do you cut, how many chances do the same people (not people like David, mind you, but people who fail early on in Vegas or drop out in City Finals) get at the expense of the new, and what you want overall moving forward.
It could have been handled better. And more minor recurring competitors could have been cut/moved to other regions. But overall, what they are doing is not wrong or even a bad thing for the show.
I totally respect their right to cut some long-serving competitors, I just think their choices are odd. Some people I've spoken to have had callbacks two or even three years in a row and never gotten to the city finals.
Sasuke Guessing Game XI- 133 Points. Every time I see an all-star fail a small piece of my soul dies. My dream in life is to meet a koala.
Post by thatoneuser on May 17, 2016 19:17:15 GMT -5
You know, Team Ninja Warrior said Brian is located in California now, and recall David Campbell didn't get called from that region either. Maybe just the LA region is weird? (Or different people were in charge of each region and they had miscommunication?)
Post by thebobmaster on May 17, 2016 20:19:56 GMT -5
Now that there are more and more "snubs", I think NBC is just trying to kickstart "a new generation", bring in the new blood. I find it quite odd that Chris was picked and not Brian, but if it's true that Brian relocated to Cali, that may have more to do with it. After all, that seems to be where a fair chunk of the "shock" cuts were made, with the obvious exception of Noah Kaufman.
Honestly, I have issues with how NBC is handling things, but at some point, they need to look to the future, and with a victory in 7, this is as good of a time as any. I just wish they had been able to do so better somehow...but at the same time, I struggle to think of how NBC could have let, say, David go without piling wood up, tossing on lighter fluid, and waiting for the torches.
TL;DR-I'm hopeful that NBC knows what they are doing, but they could have been less clumsy about it.